news header

NOVEMBER 2012 

 

360.568.2686

      

Staying Trim While You Trim The Turkey

~ by Michelle Torrance, ND, LAc

Holidays, and the celebratory eating that goes with them, can be difficult to navigate, especially if you are trying to lose weight. 

What to do?

You have three options when you are on a plan to handle a holiday feast successfully, and here they are:

1. Stay on Plan

Tough as this is, it is the most efficient way to maintain your weight-loss momentum. Now this doesn’t mean that you can’t have the yummy foods commonly associated with your holiday meal, but it does mean that you will have to modify where you can, prepare or bring your own foods to eat along with your family and friends, and possibly just say “no” to dessert.

2. Modify

This is the hardest way to manage a holiday dinner, but it can also be the most satisfying. Although you will be going off plan, you are moderating the damage done. What do I mean?

Stick to plan as best as possible, but with allowances for this one day. For example, instead of your lean chicken breast or cut of pork, you go ahead and a have a modest portion of the ham. Another example: eat a devilled egg, but get most of the filling out (or better yet, make them yourself without all the mayo, etc.), leaving just a taste of it. The egg white portion, of course, is good to go.

3. Enjoy the Meal & Get Back on Track

Really, I mean it. Eat as you normally do around the holiday table, and tomorrow, jump back on that weight-loss train with 100% effort! Here is where folks can go wrong: don’t eat the leftovers, don’t snack on the carrots tomorrow, and don’t nibble on the cake/jello/biscuits/etc. Leave them alone. If you are hosting dinner, great!  Send the guests home with goody bags!

Will this holiday eating affect your weight loss for the week? Yes, of course it will. However, it is a good lesson in weight maintenance. Remember, maintaining your weight after you lose it is more important that losing it in the first place. This principle of weight maintenance is that you should “eat clean” 80% of the time, so that you can have the flexibility to absorb higher calorie days like holiday celebrations the other 20%!

 

    

A Big Welcome to SNC's Newest Acupuncturist!

 Sam Weng small

Sam Weng, LAc

Sam Weng is a licensed acupuncturist in Washington State who trained with luminaries in the field at the Seattle Institute of Oriental Medicine.  After completing their apprenticeship style Master’s degree program in 2007, Sam continued to practice in a variety of clinical settings, from chiropractic to community acupuncture clinics.  Sam specializes in pain management, digestive issues, menstrual disorders, hypertension, anxiety and allergies.  He enjoys working with people from all walks of life and is excited to share his skills in navigating the mysteries of the human body through the lens of East Asian medicine.  

Sam is contracted with:

  • Premera
  • Lifewise
  • First Choice
  • Cigna
  • Aetna

 

 

Join us for an SNC Medi-Spa Winter Extravaganza!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012   ~   2pm-7pm   

winter spa 2   ~ Botox Clinic - Discounted to Only $10/unit!!! (appointment required)

 ~ FREE: Skinceuticals Samples and Breast Thermography Discount Coupons

 ~ FREE: Skin Photo Damage Screening

 ~ Breast Thermography Equipment Demonstrations

 ~ Cryotherapy Demonstrations

 ~ Raffle: B-Shots, Cryotherapy, Skinceuticals Products

 ~ Winter Treats, Tea and Spiced Cider

 

 Latest Research on Soy

soy  

Did you know soy is now considered safe and even protective for women diagnosed with breast cancer?  If you missed Dr Franks' talk on soy last month you may not have heard.

A study from 2011 conducted on women with breast cancer and their relative soy intake concluded that "clinicians no longer need to advise against soy intake for women with a diagnoses of breast cancer."  In this study, researchers found that women with breast cancer who had the highest intake of soy isoflavones (greater than 16.3mg/day) had a 54% reduction in risk of death!!

This echos another study published in Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2009 which studied 5042 breast cancer survivors in China.  Researchers found that women who consumed the highest amounts of soy products had the lowest risk of both death and recurrence of breast cancer.  This was true for women regardless of whether their cancer was 'estrogen sensitive' or not, and it was true for women regardless of whether they were taking Tamoxifen.

Dr Franks recommends eating organic whole soy foods like soy milk, tofu, tempeh and miso.

 

SnohomishNaturopathic.com

news footer